6 Ways to Practice Self-Love and Improve Your Self-Esteem
Updated: Apr 17
In a competitive and fast-paced world, self-love is often overlooked. Embracing self-love is one of the ways to nurture self-esteem - which is vital for mental well-being and personal growth. These practices help foster a healthy relationship with oneself and ultimately lead to a happier, more fulfilling life. Let's discuss ways to practice self-love and improve your self-esteem.
1) Engage in Self-Care Activities: One of the ways to practice self-love is by engaging in self-care activities. Self-care is essential for maintaining physical and mental health and is a crucial component of self-esteem. For instance, spending time in nature is a way to boost well-being—activities like hiking, camping, and long nature walks are all considered excellent ways of connecting with nature. Thus, helping you relax, rejuvenate, and feel more grounded.
2) Fitness and exercise: Perhaps you could consider joining a local gym or fitness class or engaging in outdoor activities like skiing, snowboarding, or cycling. Exercise releases what are known as happy hormones- also called endorphins- which can help improve your mood and boost self-esteem.
3) Surround Yourself with Positive Influences: The people you surround yourself with can significantly impact your self-esteem. Building a supportive and positive social network can be beneficial when fostering self-love. Communities, clubs, and organizations can help connect with like-minded individuals who may uplift and support you. For instance, volunteering helps give back to the community, creates a sense of belongingness, and is a great way to boost self-esteem and meet new people.
4) Practice Mindfulness and Meditation: Mindfulness and meditation are powerful tools for fostering self-love and self-esteem. They help you become more aware of your thoughts and emotions, allowing you to cultivate a more compassionate relationship with yourself. For instance, keeping a gratitude journal and practising yoga nidra, also known as non-sleep deep rest meditation, can boost productivity and well-being.
5) Set Realistic Goals and Celebrate Your Achievements:
Setting realistic goals and celebrating your achievements, big or small, can help improve your self-esteem. It's beneficial to break down goals into smaller, manageable steps and remember to acknowledge and reward yourself for each accomplishment. Being kind to oneself is immensely helpful when improving the sense of self, thus, boosting self-esteem.
6) Seek Professional Help When Needed:
If you're struggling with self-esteem issues, seeking professional help can be beneficial in overcoming these challenges. Mental health professionals, such as registered psychologists and clinical social workers, can provide valuable guidance and support in your journey toward self-acceptance and personal growth. Therapy provides a safe space to discuss specific issues and help build resilience and enhance well-being.
Practicing self-love and improving your self-esteem is an ongoing process that requires time, patience, and commitment. By engaging in self-care activities, surrounding yourself with positive influences, practicing mindfulness and meditation, setting realistic goals, and seeking professional help, you can cultivate a healthier relationship with yourself and boost your self-esteem. It's helpful to keep in mind that help is available, and taking the time to nurture your self-esteem is a crucial aspect of living a fulfilling life.
If you're looking for help in improving your mental health, working with a psychologist might be helpful for you. At Ward & Associates Psychological Services, we offer counselling in Sherwood Park. We specialize in individual counselling for adults, teens, and children and couples counselling and trauma counselling for first responders. We also offer online therapy for clients residing in Alberta. Contact us to learn more about our services or to book an appointment.